I bet you didn’t purchase a Nintendo Switch only to access some content; you bought it to access every content. You want everything from Mario, Zelda and other games to YouTube videos, Hulu movies and other shows. But to do that, you need a VPN.
With a VPN, you can access any content anytime you wish. Sadly, many of these contents are only available in certain countries. So, if you are using your good old ISP, chances are you won’t be able to access the content you love.
Unfortunately, Nintendo Switch does not offer native VPN support. This means you can’t install a VPN client, nor can you download a VPN app.
But not to worry, we know some tricks you can use to bypass this restriction. Join us as we reveal to you how to set up a VPN on your Nintendo Switch and start playing your favourite online games with friends.
What is a Nintendo Switch?
Nintendo Switch is a portable game console that allows players to enjoy their gaming experience anywhere. Its key feature is that it is small and fits the hand comfortably, so playing on the couch, on the train, or on the bus will be equally comfortable.
Although the console has flaws, such as the monotony of the game series, it is still trendy among players worldwide. Popular Zelda worlds or Mario blocks still fascinate young players, and watchdogs from the very release of Nintendo’s most famous franchises are as amazing now as they were then.
In addition, the portable console can also be disassembled, and the areas with sticks, triggers, and buttons can be used as wireless gamepads to play on TV.
What Is a VPN?
VPN is a virtual private network. This technology works like a film that envelops your data and transfers it to the general Internet. This way, it protects your data and prevents your ISP, the government, or others from monitoring what you do online and where you are.
Among the advantages of VPN are:
- Anonymity: A VPN hides your actual address and shows another one. This allows you to remain incognito online and receive illegal content in your region.
- Getting better price offers in online stores: With the help of a VPN, you can get lower prices for goods from other regions.
- Avoid data throttling: Since VPNs conceal your data usage and other online activities, it prevents your ISP from throttling your data.
- Access to Geo-blocked contents: With a VPN, you can connect to servers in various countries with which you can access geo-blocked contents and sites.
- Prevent Bandwidth Throttling: ISPs sometimes throttle users’ bandwidth to prevent them from accessing specific sites. A VPN prevents such from happening by concealing your online activities from your ISP.
As you can see, VPNs will not only keep your data safe but also open doors to the big world of the Internet.
Important tip! To get the best performance and security results, you should adequately test your new VPN. To do this, use a Virtual Machine or test it on your computer. However, ensure to use only a secure Wi-Fi connection and avoid using sensitive data such as banking passwords and personal information.
What Are the Drawbacks of VPN?
There are several drawbacks of using a VPN, which include:
- Slow speeds: Because your data is encrypted and has to travel further to reach the VPN server, your connection will usually be slower when using a VPN.
- Limited server locations: Free or low-cost VPN services will often have a limited number of server locations, which can lead to problems if you try to access content from a specific country.
- Connection dropouts: If the VPN server’s connection is unreliable, your connection will also be affected. This can lead to frustrating interruptions in your service.
- Security risks: Although VPNs are designed to add an extra layer of security to your online activity, there is always the potential for security risks. For example, hackers could intercept your data if you’re using a public Wi-Fi network.
While VPNs have some drawbacks, they are still considered a secure and convenient way to browse the Internet. If you’re concerned about online security or want to access geo-restricted content, a VPN is worth considering.
Does Nintendo Switch Have a VPN?
To put it simply, the answer is no. Nintendo Switch does not have a VPN. However, you can use a VPN on your Nintendo Switch if you connect it to a computer or router that has a VPN installed. Only in this way can you connect to a VPN on the Switch.
Note that it’s impossible to install a VPN on Nintendo Switch. Thus, avoid sites or persons that promise this service; it’s false and a scam.
Why Do I Need a VPN for Nintendo Switch?
If you are wondering why you need a VPN for Nintendo Switch, then you should remember that a VPN or Virtual Private Network will help improve your online experience.
For starters, A VPN allows you to create a secure connection to another network over the Internet. VPNs can also access region-restricted websites, shield your browsing activity from the prying eyes of public Wi-Fi, and more.
These days, many people use VPNs for gaming. A VPN can allow you to connect to a game server in another country, which can be helpful if the server you want to play on is full or if you’re experiencing high ping times. A VPN can also help reduce lag and improve your connection quality when playing online games.
Besides, a VPN gives you access to exclusive games only available in countries other than your current location. Also, a premium VPN will prevent DDoS attacks, thus protecting your device.
Furthermore, a VPN ensures your connection is encrypted; hence hackers won’t have access to your data.
How to Set Up VPN on Nintendo Switch
While Nintendo Switch is a great console, it’s even better with a VPN. A VPN will let you unblock games that are not available in your region and also protect your online activity from being snooped on by your ISP or government.
If you want to use a VPN on your Nintendo Switch, there are a few things you need to do:
- First, you’ll need to find a good VPN provider that supports the platform.
- Second, you’ll need to configure your DNS settings for Nintendo Switch.
- And finally, you’ll need to connect to the VPN server.
You can also use a VPN or a hotspot connection via your router.
Finding a Good VPN Provider
The first step is to find a good VPN provider that can work with the Nintendo Switch. Not all VPN providers offer support for the platform, so it’s essential to do your research beforehand. There are a few factors to consider when choosing a VPN provider. These include price, speed, security, and features. Finding a balance between these factors is crucial, as each is important.
Configuring Your DNS Settings for Nintendo Switch
You must change your DNS settings to use a VPN on your Nintendo Switch.
The best DNS settings for Nintendo Switch are:
- Primary DNS: 126.96.36.199
- Secondary DNS: 188.8.131.52
The next step is to configure your DNS settings. This is necessary for connecting to the VPN server.
There are two ways to configure your DNS settings for Nintendo Switch:
If connecting manually, you’ll need to input the DNS server address into your Switch’s settings. But if connecting automatically, your VPN provider will handle it for you. After that, you will have the best Switch internet setting.
Connecting to the VPN Server
Finally, you’ll need to connect to the VPN server. This can be done by following the instructions provided by your VPN provider.
Once you’re connected, your traffic will be routed through the VPN server. This means that your internet connection will be more secure and private.
Use a Hotspot
Another way to get around the geographical restrictions imposed by some websites is to use a hotspot. A hotspot is a physical location that provides Internet access, typically for free. Hotspots are usually found in public places like libraries, coffee shops, and airports.
To use a hotspot, connect your device to the hotspot’s wireless network. Once you’re connected, you’ll be able to browse the Internet as usual. Remember that hotspots are usually unsecured, so your data may not be safe from prying eyes.
You can also set up your VPN server if you want a more permanent solution. This will require technical know-how, but it’s worth it if you want a secure and private internet connection.
An excellent option for an access point is also the Internet distribution through your PC or other devices with this function. To do this:
- Download the VPN service on your device, from which you will distribute the Internet.
- After that, you will have to pay for a VPN plan or use a free solution.
- Next, connect your device to the server you need. We recommend connecting to the US or Japan, as these countries have the most extensive list of game collections available. Japan, in particular, is a preferred choice as the country is the publisher of Nintendo games and the creator of the game console.
- After that, create a hotspot for your devices and connect to it from the console. It should look like you’re trying to connect to regular Wi-Fi.
The reliability, efficiency, and security of your VPN are also important; to ensure this, only opt for proven services. Not all free VPNs will protect your data; some will sell your data to ad companies or leak your information to your ISP or the government.
Setup VPN on Your Wi-Fi Router
If you want to protect all the devices on your home network, you can set up a VPN on your Wi-Fi router. This will route all your traffic through the VPN server, so you’ll need to choose a provider that supports this feature.
Once you’ve chosen a provider, setting up the VPN on your router is usually simple. Most providers will have instructions on how to do it, and after that, you can use a VPN on your Switch.
A VPN is a great way to improve your privacy and security online. Following the steps above, you can easily set one up on your Nintendo Switch. You can also set up a VPN on your Wi-Fi router to protect all devices on your home network.
However, always remember the basic rules of being online. Do not use open hotspots unless you are sure they are safe, as unsafe hotspots provide an opportunity for attackers to get your data and blackmail you with it or sell it to advertisers or other scammers. Also, do not log into your bank accounts and suspicious sites during a VPN test. Read many reviews on the VPN you will install and watch video reviews on them before making a decision.
- Can you browse the Internet on a Nintendo Switch?
Yes, you can. If you didn't previously know, this function is now hidden, and you must complete a sequence of actions to unlock the Nintendo Switch web browser. It’s better to look for the instructions on the internet because it is worth a full article.
- How do I change the IP address on my Nintendo Switch?
To do this:
1. Select “System Settings” from your Nintendo Switch console's HOME Menu.
2. Select “Internet,” followed by “Internet Settings.”
3. Choose your network from the list of available networks under “Registered Networks.”
4. Choose “Change Settings,” then scroll down to “IP Address Settings.” and input a new address.
- Can a VPN slow down my Internet on Switch?
Your performance may be affected by the capacity and effectiveness of a VPN's servers. Overcrowding on a VPN server may result in slower speeds and a less reliable connection.
- Can my account get banned with VPN on Switch?
It is unknown whether it is possible to receive punishment for this. In consoles such as Xbox or Playstation, this is not prohibited. You can get a guaranteed ban for hacking a console, inciting hate from your account, fraudulent money or multi-accounting to gain a profit.