Have you ever noticed that your favorite song or movie is unavailable in your region, a website can’t be opened because of the internet provider’s restrictions, and you can’t work because you are in the ‘wrong region’? If so, your solution would be a VPN or a proxy server. They allow users to hide all the data being sent between devices and provide high security on the web.
A VPN, also known as a Virtual Private Network, is a type of technology that allows users to create a secure connection over a less secure network. This can be done by creating a ‘tunnel’ between the two networks. VPNs are often used to access blocked websites or to protect sensitive data from interception.
But sometimes unexpected things happen. You want to stop your VPN, but nothing works. What do you do then? Do you need to use third-party instruments to block your VPN or not? Let’s figure it out!
Read on to find the solutions to your problem and enjoy your internet experience with no restrictions.
When Is It Safe to Disable A VPN?
Generally speaking, it’s best to keep your VPN enabled whenever you’re online. However, there are a few exceptions. But If you’re using a public Wi-Fi network, for example, or connecting to a website that isn’t encrypted (HTTPS), you should not block your VPN temporarily.
Likewise, if you’re having trouble connecting to a website or service, disabling your VPN might help you troubleshoot the issue. Unless you have a specific reason to do so, it’s best to keep your VPN enabled.
Some big companies ban VPNs for workers during the working process because they tend to use web sources blocked by the management. In that case, you need to stop your VPN and turn it on after work.
Also, you can stay in a country that prohibits VPNs on its territory. For example, China or Russia. To connect to the internet in these countries, you need to disable the VPN. But don’t forget to reconnect to the VPN since you leave the country with VPNs restrictions.
What Happens If I Turn Off VPN?
If you do it, your traffic will no longer be encrypted and will be vulnerable to tracking. Additionally, your IP address will be exposed, and you will no longer be able to access content that may be blocked in your location. Some online shops use regional price settings, so the cost of their products can differ according to the areas. If you turn off a VPN, you won’t be able to get the most profitable offers.
BONUS TIP: Another great reason to use a VPN is the price policy of the Xbox Games Store. Some gamers have noticed that Argentina offers more beneficial prices for games. It can be two or even three times cheaper than the usual cost. So, don’t wait! Turn on a VPN and buy 5 games for the price of two.
If you want to know more internet privacy tips about VPNs and other things that can help you stay safe and secure while using the internet, consider this VPN-aimed blog.You can read specific tips for getting blocked content, for example, watching American Netflix when you are not in the right region or other articles on internet privacy topics. This information will help you stay safe and know about everything without restrictions and limits.
How to Disable VPN on MacOS
If you’re using a Mac and you need to block your VPN connection for some reason, it’s pretty easy to do. Just follow these simple steps:
- Go to Preferences and find the Network icon. Click on it.
- Find the VPN you want to disable. Find the switch button and click on it.
- Now the ‘VPN is disabled’ sign should appear.
If nothing works, you can stop it manually with the ‘Force Quit’ option. To do that:
- Find the apple sign in the top left-hand corner of your screen.
- Click on it.
- Find your VPN.
- Stop it.
If you are using the private network as the browser extension, you should:
- Go to the extensions setting.
- Find your VPN.
- Press the tumbler to make it grey
How to Turn Off VPN on iPhone And iOS Devices
If you need to shut down your private network tool on your iPhone or another iOS device, it’s just a matter of going into the Settings app and flipping a switch. Here’s how:
- Open the Configurations and go to the General.
- Find a VPN by scrolling down.
- Press the switch and it’s done.
How to Turn off VPN on Windows 10, 7, and other versions
As with Mac and iOS, you can easily turn off VPN connections on Windows 10 by accessing the Settings. Like this:
- Open Network Connections.
- Right-click the incoming VPN connection that you want to disable, and click the Status button.
- On the General tab, click Shutdown.
- Close network connections.
How to Turn off VPN on Android
If you need to stop your VPN on a phone or a tablet, it’s just a matter of going into the Settings app and flipping a switch.
But if it doesn’t help, you can use ‘Force Quit’ as well as on MacOS. Generally speaking, you can use it to shut down any frozen app.
As you can see, it’s not that hard to shut down your private network. But remember, if your device is not operating correctly and the private network is always glitchy, you should consider unistalling and downloading a new app.
Why Is It Better to Turn VPN On?
Although a VPN should be turned off in some situations like work terms or being in a country with specific rules towards VPNs, we recommend using a VPN everywhere you are using the internet, even if you are home.
But a turned on VPN can slow down your network because it provides security and freedom within the web with the help of a ‘tunnel’ between the two networks, and it requires a lot of power. So, if you are not doing something connected explicitly to your privacy, you can stop a VPN and enjoy fast internet.
The key reasons to keep a VPN turned on.
- Improved security and privacy: By encrypting your traffic and hiding your IP address, a VPN makes it much more difficult for hackers or government agencies to track your activity or intercept your data.
- Access to blocked content: Many countries block access to certain websites or restrict what types of content can be accessed. Using a VPN helps bypass these limitations and grant you access.
- Access to torrent files and games. Using a VPN, you can even play your favorite online games that are restricted in your country. Some people even use a VPN for downloading torrent files to avoid law restrictions to use piracy.
- Apart from your favorite movies blocked in your country, you can use the opportunity to download games that are restricted in your area. And it’s not about torrent files. You can upload them from the App Store or Google Play Store without restrictions.
- As for torrenting, a VPN can be helpful in one unique situation. While using mobile internet, you can face the problem of a disabled torrent tracker. Simply speaking, your file isn’t downloading, despite the fact that the internet is working. It happens because mobile operators ban using torrents with mobile web. To bypass this restriction, you can use a VPN.
N. B. We don’t recommend using VPN for criminal purposes as it can lead to problems with the law. Privacy systems should be used for non-criminal purposes only.
- Why can't I turn off the VPN?
It can be due to several reasons. Sometimes it happens when your phone or other device lags and works incorrectly. This problem can also occur when your VPN on the phone doesn't work and respond correctly. You should restart your phone and a VPN to fix all those problems. If it doesn't help, try to delete VPN and reinstall it.
- Why does my phone show a VPN?
When you see the 'VPN' sign on your screen, it means VPN is working and ready to be used. To check it, go to any website restricted in your area and try to load it. If you have access, the VPN works appropriately.
- How do I stop my child from using a VPN?
You don't need to stop your child from using a VPN because it's a legal tool. But if you use unique configurations for your home network and don't want your child to get access to some websites, you can only delete or block a VPN.
- Is it safe to use a VPN?
Yes, it's safe to work with a VPN. It only helps to provide you anonymity and saves personal information from other eyes.