Have you ever thought about what an IP address is and how it can be modified? Maybe with VPN? Or with an internet provider? Do you still want to know? If yes, this article is for you!
To do that, you can use many methods and tools, such as a VPN or private servers. They encode traffic and send it through servers in different areas. This indicates that you are accessing the web from that server’s location and not your physical location.
Besides the VPN, a split tunnel makes it easier to use these technologies in another way. It also provides:
- Traffic encryption. Your data becomes protected from the third-parties.
- Changing your location. The VPN tunnel funnels your traffic to a server, hiding your IP. Without the IP, there’s no way to tell your location.
- Securing WI-FI hotspots. You no longer have to worry about your safety when using public WI-FI.
But the most sufficient is that split tunneling allows the user to send some data through a VPN while another part of it goes through the usual unencrypted internet.
Changing your IP can be helpful for several reasons. It can help you access geo-restricted content, such as streaming services only available in certain countries. It can also make it more difficult for websites and advertisers to track your activity online. And in some cases, it may even help you evade government censorship.
Why Should One Hide Location?
There are important reasons to hide my IP:
- You can get content banned in your area. Popular streaming platforms like Netflix and HBO provide content depending on the area. And by using a VPN to change your location to get a fake IP, you can watch popular TV shows and films that are blocked for you.
- VPN can also be helpful If you are fond of sports streams and video. Many sports platforms show popular teams in particular countries interested in them. If you are a fan of the Turkish football team but can’t watch it in your country, you can use VPN or proxy to access that content.
- VPN is also useful for online shopping. Many online stores display prices relative to the region where the goods are sold. So, for example, Xbox 360 players may have noticed that Argentina can offer much better game prices than the United States. And for this, you need to change the region.
- Now, our personal space and online privacy are also crucial. Many people know that Google monitors its users according to what they search for. Using VPN technologies, you can avoid surveillance by popular companies chasing advertising profits.
How to Change Your IP Address with a VPN And Other Tools
- VPN. That is the most popular way to stay safe and incognito while using the internet. VPN encrypts all information you send on the internet and changes your actual location from all the internet users.
- Use a proxy. This is the second most popular way to stay safe online. However, unlike a VPN, it only hides your locations and allows you to remain anonymous but does not encode information from your side. Sharing your data is not secure when using a proxy, but it is quite good for hiding IP.
- Use Tor. It uses special technology to confuse scammers or those who want to follow your movements on the network. It works with special hosts that accept your data and send it to another one. As a positive, these hosts save information only about the previous one, which makes it hard to trace you on the web. As for the negative side of this technology, Tor uses at least three hosts, which makes it challenging to get the best working network performance.
- People also report that disconnecting the router can help. You just need to unplug it, wait for a couple of minutes, and plug it in again. After that, there is a possibility that your location will be changed automatically.
- Ask your internet service provider (ISP) to modify your IP. You will need to contact your ISP and request this procedure.
How to Change IP Address on My Device
Each of us uses different devices. As a result, the instructions on how to change IP addresses can be different for each device.
Changing My Location Without VPN on IOS:
- Access your iOS device settings.
- Click the WI-FI button.
- Click the Network button.
- Choose an IPv4.
- Click IP Configuration.
- Enter the IP.
- Open Settings.
- Go to Network configurations.
- Open Web Connections.
- Click Change IPv4.
- Choose Manual.
- Enter new IP.
N.B. Since this procedure includes changing manually, you should consider watching some youtube tutorials or reading different articles devoted to this topic. It should be done to avoid problems with mistyped data regarding IP and different platforms’ configurations.
For example, the instructions for Mac users can be universal and identical because Apple designs the same OS settings for all the devices. The same can’t be said about android. There are plenty of Android device manufacturers that make ‘insides’ of gadgets differently despite the fact they all are based on android. As a result, to avoid problems, you should find the instructions particular for your device.
Changing My Location with no VPN on Mac:
- Select the Apple icon and choose System Preferences. After that, choose the Network button.
- Then Advanced, TCP / IP. Then write down your IP address.
- Select Manual on the bottom next to IPv6 Setup (or IPv4).
- Enter the right IP address.
- Save new settings.
Changing My IP Without VPN on Windows:
- Go to the Settings section.
- Click the Start button, and then click the small screw above the start button. Press Windows + I.
- Click the “Network and Internet” button.
- Click the “WI-FI” button in the sidebar and select a WI-FI network from the list.
- Click the Edit button under the IP Assignments heading.
- Option 1: Automatically assign an IP address
- If the current IP address is set manually and there are problems, change the drop-down list in Edit Network IP Settings to Automatic (DHCP) and click Save.
- Set the “IPv4” switch to “On.”
- Enter details about the new IP
- When modifying your IP, you must ensure that the data you have printed is correct. Before you begin, we recommend that you collect the following:
- Current IP.
- Gateway (IP router).
- If you do not know these details, you can obtain them by running the ipconfig command at a command prompt.
- Ideally, the new IP address should be in the same format as the old one. For example, if your current IP is 10.0.0.1, you can keep the structure 10.0.0.x. Make sure you do not set the address as the gateway or other device on the network.
- When you’re done, click Save.
- Turn off your router.
- Turn it back on a day later.
- Go to your administrative interface and reconnect to your ISP.
But if you don’t want to do it manually, you can download VPN and change your location with one click. It would help if you considered our blog to know more about internet privacy. There are plenty of articles about VPNs and other tools for internet activity. You can read about the secrets of all free VPNs here and find the appropriate one.
As you can see, changing IP addresses is not as complicated, anyone can deal with it.
What If I Can’t Change My Location with VPN?
If your VPN service doesn’t change your IP address, these might be the reasons:
- Your VPN service is off – turn it on to enjoy the privacy.
- Your tool is configured to set your location to the one that matches your country and city but not your IP. This can happen if you’re using a VPN service configured to provide access to your office intranet and are in the same city as your office. In this case — choose a different location in your VPN app.
- Your service is misconfigured and cannot work with the current settings in place – either change the VPN settings yourself or ask a technical specialist for help.
What Are the Best VPNs to Change Your IP Address?
There are a lot of popular VPNs for changing IP addresses, but we recommend only three that are the safest, stable and fast.
|The market-leading VPN service has a good reason to be the best. This VPN offers an entirely security-focused package with additional features such as a reliable tunnel protocol, custom firewall, and onion over VPN.|
Regarding location change, NordVPN offers a network of over 5,400 servers in 60 countries.
Each server is owned by the company and can provide the fastest connection speed.
All are priced at up to $ 3.29 per month on a two-year contract. NordVPN offers a 30-day money-back guarantee if you don’t like it.
|There is a rare sale offer – unlimited connections per account! You can share your account with family and friends and connect your other devices.|
But Surfshark is not just about cost-effectiveness. This VPN is one of the fastest, with incredible speeds and a vast network of over 3,200 servers in 95 countries.
It would not be easy to find a location other than on Surfshark. Perfect for those who need a different IP address.
Surfshark starts at $ 2.30 per month and, like NordVPN, offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
|It’s a more minor VPN service than the first two, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t have server locations.|
VyprVPN has 700 servers spread across 64 countries. Not only that, it is the best VPN application, a very secure and fast service.
It also works in countries where the government restricts VPN use, such as China, Russia, or Iran.
You can get VyprVPN for $ 8.33 monthly with the most extended plan. A 30-day money-back guarantee applies!
|– Unblocks most streaming platforms.|
– Huge, reliable server list.
– Strong security suite.
– Smart DNS feature
– Very fast.
– 24/7 live chat support team
|– Unlimited simultaneous connections.|
– Fast servers for IP switching.
– Excellent speeds with WireGuard.
– Guides for router setup.
– Smart DNS.
– The live chat runs 24/7
|– Unblocks most big streaming platforms.|
– Traffic obfuscation via the Chameleon 2.0 protocol.
– Good speeds with WireGuard.
|No custom router firmware||Split tunneling is unavailable on iOS||Not as many servers as some other top VPNs|
- Can I get in trouble for using a VPN?
No, if you are using it for non-crime purposes. You can’t use a VPN for torrenting or other restricted actions in your country.
- Does VPN block GPS location?
A VPN is good for changing your IP address, which contains some location data, but does not alter your GPS location. A VPN will primarily cover your digital tracks by hiding your IP address, which is that unique address that identifies your device on the internet.
- Why is my VPN showing my actual location?
The website stored a tracking cookie on your device (or browser) on a previous visit. So even though you're using a VPN to hide your IP address, the cookie or cookies are telling them where you are.
- Do I need to pay for a VPN?
On average, VPNs cost about $10 per month, but they can cost as much as $20 and as little as $3 per month. Most VPNs have pay-by-the-month options if you don't want to sign up for a yearly contract. However, monthly subscriptions are generally the most expensive. But sometimes you can find free solutions.